Best Custom recoveries – Do you want to Root your android phone? or modify and tweak some of the features or change your android operating system (Custom Roms) altogether in your phone? Then off-course you need the door which grants your wishes towards another portal.
This is where Custom recovery comes into action, it lets you modify or install any tweaks regardless of your android version. Every device comes with its pre-modified versions of custom recoveries which require different compatibility with different devices.
Here I am going to make sure that you get the best custom recovery for your android phones which will be best in terms of functionality, stability, and features.
Before beginning Let me tell you, that doing any modifications to your android phone will result in data loss. So, First, make sure to backup everything to your Other storage devices.
- 1 What is Custom Recovery?
- 2 Pre-requirements to Install Custom Recovery
- 3 Top 5 best custom recovery in 2021
- 4 1. TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP)
- 5 2. Orange Fox Recovery Project (OFOX)
- 6 3. Pitch Black Recovery Project (PBRP)
- 7 4. Sky Hawk Recovery Project (SHRP)
- 8 5. RedWolf Recovery Project (RWRP)
- 9 Conclusion
What is Custom Recovery?
Before understanding the word ‘custom Recovery‘, First, we need to understand that what is an android recovery?
Android recovery is a set of programs installed on the Boot partition separately in your device, which can be bootable before the operating system starts. Every android phone comes pre-installed with its default recovery known as Stock recovery. To enter into stock recovery, there are certain key combinations that should be pressed which are set by your OEMs.
This Stock recovery comes with some basic functions such as wiping the Cache or Data of your android phone(Factory Reset) and installing official updates provided by your smartphone vendors.
Due to the fact that android is open-source which means their recovery source codes are available for anyone. Hence, it’s easier for the developers to build their own customized version of recovery with some extra features and functions added. these custom builds of Recovery are basically known as ‘Custom Recovery‘.
Pre-requirements to Install Custom Recovery
- An Android phone(Functional)
- Unlocked Bootloader(By unlocking the bootloader your warranty may be Void and data will be erased, so backup your important documents, images, files, etc.)
- ADB Drivers
- USB Drivers
- USB Cable
- Recovery Image file
NOTE: Before proceeding further, Please TAKE A FULL BACKUP of your device to make sure your every data is safe. Every android device comes with different methods of unlocking the bootloader and custom recovery. So you can search on the XDA website for your device-specific flashing procedure.
If I were to write about how to install custom recovery on specific devices then this post will go infinite. so google it for your specific device name for installing the specific custom recovery in your android device.
Top 5 best custom recovery in 2021
Before doing any of these kinds of stuff, first, let me tell you that you need to Find your Device ‘Codename’ before downloading any recovery given below.
To know your device ‘Codename’, Head over to Google and Search ‘Codename along with your phone name’. after knowing Codename, you can download any custom recovery according to your device codename if the device supports it.
Here is the list of the Top 5 Best Custom recovery for android Phones in 2021 that you can flash, which can unlock a new door in your android journey.
1. TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP)
team win recovery project is one of the oldest and most stable custom recovery available for android users. It comes with the most basic functions, such as NANDroid Backup, Restoring, Flashing Zips, customizing the Ui, And many more. Every Other custom recoveries are based on TWRP source while helps developers to make every custom recovery more stable.
The best part of this recovery is it is available for almost every android device while any newest devices would also support TWRP in most cases.
most of the advanced functions such as ADB sideload, file manager, Terminal inbuild, and the theming option comes preloaded as well.
Features Of Teamwin recovery project (TWRP)
- Backups of partitions in TAR or raw Image format.
- Restore backups from internal storage, external SD storage or OTG devices.
- Custom Firmware installation.
- Partition wiping.
- File deletion.
- Terminal access.
- ADB Root Shell.
- Theme Support.
- Possible decryption support depending on the device.
- Supports almost every android device.
- Also, have a TWRP official app on the play store.
Download the Latest version of TWRP From the Official website of your specific devices.
2. Orange Fox Recovery Project (OFOX)
Orange Fox is also based on TWRP source with the addition of many handfuls of features. previously it was originally built for Xiaomi devices, but now it supports more than 50+ devices and more adding every month. This OFOX custom recovery comes with many functions which include Customizations and themes, Build in Magisk installer and uninstaller, OTA supports for MIUI, and Custom ROMs as well.
Features Of Orange Fox Recovery (OFOX)
- Supports Treble and non-Treble ROMs.
- Increased compatibility with TWRP.
- Updated with latest TWRP commits.
- Built-in support for installing Magisk.
- Built-in support for installing SuperSU (v2.82-201705271822 – non-Treble ROMs only).
- Password, torch, led.
- Support for Miui and Custom ROMs.
- MIUI OTA support.
- Better language support.
- Optimized versions of community scripts.
- Alternative lock screen.
- Fox theme engine:
- And many more!
Download your device-specific orange fox recovery from their official website.
3. Pitch Black Recovery Project (PBRP)
Pitch black custom recovery was recently released which is also based on the latest TWRP source. hence, this recovery also comes with a lot of basic features with a pinch of many tweaks as well.
PBRP’s main goal is to provide a clean user interface with a better user-friendly experience. this recovery also comes with many advanced features such as inbuild FIle manager, multi-language support, PIN or password remover, theme engine, and many more.
Features of Pitch Black Recovery Project (PBRP)
- Based on the latest TWRP source
- Supports Treble and non-Treble ROMs
- Great troubleshooting features and tools
- Material design and full dark theme with changeable accents
- Advanced tools including code-name changer and Pin/Pass remover
- Disable DM Verity
- Uses AromaFM as the default file manager
- Inbuilt support for enabling/disabling Super-SU and Magisk
- Universal flash-able file for all variant of a device
- Multi-lingual support (for 10+ languages)
- Automatic PBRP Injection after flashing ROM (treble only) (beta)
- And many more!
Head over to their Official PBRP website to get the latest recovery file for your android device.
4. Sky Hawk Recovery Project (SHRP)
Sky hawk recovery project is also one of the newest TWRP based custom recovery which brings a new material design UI and clean user experience. The UI is beginner-friendly which helps android users to understand and interact with their functions easily.
The best part of SHRP is it supports many devices and more getting added recently. Apart from clean UI, SHRP has many cool features such as password protection inside the recovery, many theme options, customizations of Navigation and status bar, modern design with quick access menu, toggle for camera API2, etc.
Features of Sky Hawk Recovery Project (SHRP)
- Theme support with a clean and modern design.
- Improved dashboard with more quick access options.
- Password lock protection
- Modified file manager
- Inbuilt support for flashing modules like – Magisk or ViperFx
- Hal3 / CameraAPI2 – enable /disable from dashboard
- CPU core lock/unlock
- Navigation and Status bar customization
- Notch mode with the toggle to disable
- And many other great features.
5. RedWolf Recovery Project (RWRP)
Just like other recoveries on this list, RedWolf Recovery Project is also based on the latest TWRP source. Unlike other recoveries, there is a very limited number of android devices that support this recovery, But this doesn’t mean that this is recovery is left behind from others.
RWRP Aims is to provide stability with plenty of tweaks here and there which lacks in the official TWRP recovery. This recovery also comes with many features like MIUI OTA supports, password Protection, theming options. etc.
Features Of RedWolf Recovery Project (RWRP)
- Based on the latest TWRP source.
- Simple and easy to use with great theming options.
- MIUI OTA support.
- Password Protection.
- Disable DM-Verity and force encryption.
- Back up all partitions.
- Project Treble Support
- Built-in Magisk, Super SU
- Flashlight support
- Flashing More Than One ZIP at Once Support.
- Wiping Existing Data
- Fixing Permissions
- Advanced Reboot Options.
- USB Support.
- Mount Storage Support.
- And many more!
Head over to their official website Of RWRP to know more about supported devices.
So, That’s it for this article. I hope you figured out which custom recovery would be best for you.
After installing the custom recovery, you would be wondering what would be The best custom in 2021 to try? Worry not, I got you covered, who knows which one Rom can suit your needs. Thus, you can try many cool mods and tweaks after rooting your android which I would be discussing in my future posts.
I would like to mention that, Take a backup of your phone as soon as possible to avoid losing any of your data.
If you have any concerns, Do let me know in the comments, and suggest to me any posts you wanted me to cover.